16. Filling Unmet Needs in the Dental Laser Marketplace - Rob Gershon, CEO of Convergent Dental - After only 10 months on the job, Rob Gershon, the CEO of Convergent Dental has brought even more innovation to Convergent. Listen as he discusses what he describes as the huge value proposition of all-tissue laser dentistry without disrupting the normal daily workflow. We learn about Solea’s answer to sleep disordered breathing and a way to improve the effectiveness of fluoride using the Solea CO2 laser. We end with a discussion on the importance of incorporating lasers into the dental education curriculum.
15. Introducing Dr. Densen Cao! Meet the Person Who's Inventions You Use Every Day! - This episode of the Laser 101 podcast introduces you to Dr. Densen Cao of the CAO Group. You may not know the name, but you use his inventions EVERY DAY. Dr. Cao is responsible for creating 20 different medical devices including (all world’s firsts) the first ultra compact diode lasers, the first handheld LED curing light, the first Laser curing light, the first handheld forensic LED you have undoubtedly seen on shows like CSI, and most recently, a reversible resin which can be uncoupled or removed years after curing by using a laser diode. Listen as Dr. W geeks out over all the innovation and technology! Tip: Recommend you listen to this episode at 1.5x speed.
14. Healing With Light with James Carroll of Thor Photomedicine - This week, the Laser 101 Podcast begins our series on giving you direct access to laser manufacturers. James Carroll is the CEO of Thor Photomedicine. During our discussion, Mr. Carroll describes the process of photobiomodulation. We also reveal the reasons he has delivered presentations to the United Nations and US Congress, why he was invited to speak at the White House. Considering over 9000 academic papers have been published on the subject, including over 150 randomized, controlled clinical trials, it may be surprising that so many dentists and physicians remain uninformed or skeptical about this topic.
13. The One With Dr. Stewart Rosenberg - For the past 30 years, the name Dr. Stewart Rosenberg has been synonymous with dental education, especially in dental technology like intraoral cameras, air abrasion and especially lasers. He was one of the original founders of the Academy of Laser Dentistry and always advocated to use your laser on “every patient, every day.” We recently caught up with Dr. Rosenberg and he was as funny as ever, and continues to advocate for laser use in dentistry in every dental specialty. Easily the funniest episode of Laser 101 so far!
12. Dr. Bob Lowe on Laser-Assisted Closed Flap Crown Lengthening From the First Doc Ever to Publish A Case - This week, we have an especially eye-opening conversation with Dr. Bob Lowe, who is a world-renowned cosmetic dentist from Charlotte, now also teaching part-time at the MUSC dental school in South Carolina. Dr. Lowe discusses his thought process behind being the first person to publish an article on laser-assisted closed flap osseous crown lengthening. We finish our conversation with his thoughts on why dental laser manufacturers are missing the boat when it comes to implementation in dental schools.
11. Review of Journal Article (Transcranial vs. Whole Body PBM Treatment of COVID-19 Brain Fog) - Bowen & Arany - This week, we review an interesting and timely paper to be published in the Journal of Biophotonics, which deals with the use of either transcranial or whole body treatments for brain fog associated with Covid-19. This is a human clinical study comparing the results of treating patients with brain fog using either a helmet or a light bed. Previous studies treating patients with Parkinson’s Disease or Multiple Sclerosis have used whole body light beds, while depression, Alzheimer’s Disease and traumatic brain injury have been successfully treated using only a transcranial light device. This simple project could be of much help to those who currently suffer from cognitive dysfunction related to Covid-19.
10. Follow Dr. Kim Kutsch's One Simple Rule to Get Your Patients to Accept More Large Restorative Cases - Dr. Kim Kutsch was one of the "Original 8" dentists to use a laser intraorally. Probably more importantly, he was also the person responsible for sitting in front of his dental board and getting the ball rolling for hygienists across the country to be able to use lasers in dentistry. Seriously. He was the guy! With 17 patents secured and 5 more pending, make a point to listen the wisdom of one of the most innovative dentists of our time.
9. Dr. Justin Kolnick's Method for Over 95% Endodontic Success - Dr. Justin Kolnick is one of the most experienced endodontists in the world to use lasers routinely in his dental practice. Join us as Dr. Kolnick describes his comprehensive treatment concept, including details on the “ease of outcome,” a phrase he created to describe the process. We also cover an explanation of laser cavitation in endodontics and the use of erbium lasers in cases of calcification or retreatment. Listen as he discusses his method of predicting endodontic outcomes or percentage of success, which is currently over 95% using his methods. All that and more on this episode!
8. Comparison of Journal Articles and Predatory Journal Discussion (Zamzam MK, et al) - Two weeks ago, a scientific paper appeared on my Google Scholar feed. I read the title and thought to myself, “Why are you doing that? It doesn’t make sense.” The interview I had with Dr. John Featherstone only the day before popped into my head, when he talked about this exact topic. Then, another paper populated the same Google feed, covering the same topic in an entirely different and more appropriate way rather than a rehashing of 13 year old research. I decided to compare the two. I hope you enjoy the discussion!
7. Lasers As a Biologic vs. Just An Instrument? Dr. Robert Miller - This week’s guest on Laser 101 is Dr. Robert Miller; one of the most sought after speakers in the world of oral implantology worldwide. Dr. Miller talks about his “leap of faith” in purchasing THE VERY FIRST Er,Cr:YSGG laser ever. Back then, it was cleared to do only Class I and V cavity preparations! That’s it. Dr. Miller shares how he uses multiple ablative lasers in his oral implantology dental practice, and as promised, he shares his philosophy (hits us right between the eyes) that dental lasers should be thought of more as a biologic than as an instrument.
6. Treating the Growing Number of Peri-Implantitis Cases with Dr. Eric Linden - We are joined by Dr. Eric Linden, a periodontist who is known for using multiple wavelengths in his clinical practice (2 erbium wavelengths, 2 CO2 wavelengths, Nd:YAG and multiple diodes). Dr. Linden shares interesting times throughout his laser journey including some of the “battle scars” he’s earned, including specific threats of being reported to the Board of Dentistry for daring to present lasers in dentistry at a perio meeting!
5. Making Dental Enamel 1000x More Resistant to Acid Attack with Dr. John Featherstone - In this episode, we meet Dr. John Featherstone, Dean Emeritus at the UCSF School of Dentistry. Widely considered a stalwart in the world of dental cariology, Dr. Featherstone was determining optimal settings for laser-tissue interactions as far back as 1980! His team successfully found the mechanisms and dosimetries to transform carbonated hydroxyapatite into a form of HA which is 1000x harder in order to inhibit dental caries. Listen in as we discuss his journey over the course of 50 years.
4. Review of Journal Article (Non-Surgical Peri-Implantitis Treatment) - Kang P, et al - This week's discussion focuses on a recently published paper authored by Dr. Philip Kang and his team in the Perio Dept at Columbia University. The paper was published in the International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry, and is certainly timely, as the topic is a human RCT using an erbium laser to treat peri-implantitis non-surgically.
3. Part II of Dr. Robert Pick Including Providing Mind Blowing Customer Service - This is the continuation of our conversation where we find out juicy details like the meaning of the purple cow and priceless life lessons from the master himself!
2. The FIRST Dentist to Use A Laser Intraorally - What Was He Thinking? Dr Robert Pick - This episode brings you up close and personal with the very FIRST dentist to use a laser intraorally. Relive that day in 1983 and find out what procedure he performed and why it resulted in a sleepless night. 15 years later, after Dr. Pick wrote the first textbook on laser dentistry, he disappeared from the laser scene.
1. Monologue for those completely new to lasers in dentistry. This is where you should start if you're new to lasers in dentistry. Just a short intro to the fascinating world!